7 October 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #22 - Book Genres I Want To See More Of

Top Ten Tuesday is a Meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where I will be picking from their top tens and attempting to reveal what my thinking is behind these choices.

So the following book genres I would really like to see more of:

1. ZomRomCom
I loved reading Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion and I think there should be more horror, comedy romance mash-ups. The Zombie thing may be dead and gone (sorry!) but I bet there are better genres to tread through.


2. Classic Retellings, Sequels and Prequels
There needs to be more sequels and prequels of the classics. Death Comes to Pemberley was a great idea, and Wide Sargasso Sea is pretty popular too. I think there needs to be more of that in the world. Maybe we should begin to explore other classics though. I don't think I've ever seen one for Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?

3. Asian Folklore
There are some really weird Asian Folklore monsters out there and I would love for more people to take those and mix it up a bit.

4. Alternate History Sci-fi
Don't tell me you wouldn't like to know how Queen Victoria would have reacted to aliens on her doorstep?

5. Sci-fi Dystopian
I love sci-fi, I love dystopia, and I love it when they merge to create some truly awesome books set in an alien world with that same dystopian society I know and love.

6. Clockpunk
Think Steampunk, then replace anything steam with clockwork and you're sorted. Maybe add some sci-fi and you've got a Doctor Who episode right there. But honestly, I love the idea of clockwork machines and evil mechanisms, and the Victorian setting is always awesome.

7. Historical Fantasy
I've read a few of these and I really like it! The whole idea of magic in a very well-known age is awesome to me and I like to see it linked in to reality well enough to make you question it. When something I linked into a historical event is when things really kick off. Imagine that perhaps Anne Boleyn really was a witch? Now that would be a cool story.

8. YA Time Travel
I've recently finished a really great series in this exact genre and I loved it! A mixture of time travel and teen emotion actually works quite well and keeps things very interesting.

9. Fantasy Detective
I don't read much in the way of detective novels or PI novels, but I will gladly pick one up if there's magical or paranormal creatures involved.

10. Mythological Fiction
I know there's tons of books that currently fit this category and the market is saturated, but I want a new take. I want some really strange, really cool fiction. Think American Gods by Neil Gaiman, or a really old folklore or myth that is seldom used. Personally, I'd like to learn more about the Egyptian gods and fiction is a really easy and enjoyable way to do that.

If you're wondering about my choice of images, these are all extra examples that I've mentioned in previous posts and reviews.

What genres would you like to see more of? Do you agree with my list?
Kyrax

No comments:

Post a Comment