22 July 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #14 - Characters I Don't Want to Trade With



Top Ten Tuesday is a Meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where I will be picking from their top tens and attempting to reveal what my thinking is behind these choices.

Warning: Some Serious Spoilers Ahead

Top Ten Characters I Don't Want to Trade With:

1. Prince Maxon - The Selection
I'd be heir to the throne of a torn-up country, with women fighting over me and I'd be constantly scared for my life. To top it all off, I would have to choose a wife out of people who had won some kind of weird lottery to be my wife. Um, no thank you.

2. Frankenstein's Monster - Frankenstein
Being made out of several dead bodies doesn't really float my boat, being abandoned by my creator really doesn't either. I would be really lonely and really angry most of the time, and at all other times I would be chased across the world. It's not really a fantasy of mine.

3. Peeta Mellark - The Hunger Games
Being thrown into a 'game' where someone could kill you at any second is difficult enough. Being in love with a girl who is - please forgive me Katniss fans - a right cow is something else. But what eventually happens to Peeta is so hurtful and horrible, I really wouldn't want to be in his position.

4. Coraline - Coraline
Not only is her story creepy as hell, but her situation is awful. I used to get terrified if I couldn't find my parents, but Coraline somehow is able to stay calm enough to embark on a rescue attempt. I probably would have ended up with buttons for eyes, let's face it.

5. Anyone in the land of Westeros - A Game of Thrones
I was going to pick a particular character who has (so far) lived throughout the entire series, but that would ruin the surprise. Instead, I have picked all of them, because you never know if you are about to die cruelly, you never know who will betray you, who is playing you, who to trust and who not to. I'd rather have an easy life, thanks.

6. Frodo Baggins - The Lord of the Rings
Speaking of an easy life, this guy is looked down upon by almost everyone he meets. He is way too trusting to strange creatures and gets himself into a lot of trouble. He is weighed down by the burden of the one ring and he is occasionally taken over by it. After his ordeal he is never the same happy hobbit he once was. Ugh, sounds exhausting.

7. Voldemort - Harry Potter
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't much like having my soul split several times. I'm not one for murder either, or general evilness, nor do I have a strange fascination for school-boys or pieces of wood. Also, we all know what happens to him, and it's not pretty.

8. Liesel Memminger - The Book Thief
Too much pain, too much death, too much fear and too much destruction. The good parts of her life are wonderful, but the dark parts would probably crush someone like me. Liesel is strong where I could not be.

9. Rosie the Elephant - Water for Elephants
Rosie is misunderstood by many and treated cruelly for much of the story. She is injured several times when certain characters get angry, and is traded from place to place. Eventually she has her revenge, but really it is quite a sad conclusion for Rosie, who has to live the rest of her life with her past haunting her, probably making her scared of anyone but out two main characters.

10. Offred (A Handmaid) - The Handmaid's Tale
Possibly the worst situation I could imagine myself in. Forced to be the carrier for a child I don't want and cannot keep, forced to go to work in colonies if I am not up to the task. Intense fear, forbidden love, and no freedom whatsoever. It is so bleak, and I am glad I don't have to live that life.

Kyrax

No comments:

Post a Comment